Date: 26th July 2017
SUBJECT: MITIGATION MEASURES AGAINST CHOLERA OUTBREAK
A number of Cholera cases have been reported within the Country and these need to be contained as quickly as possible. It is critical therefore that utilities secure their water sources and ensure that potable water is supplied at all times within their service areas. To ensure compliance with this requirement you are required to:
- Ensure that all vendors including borehole sources, tankers and operators of water kiosks are registered upon approved water quality testing and a clear declaration of the source of the water.
- Ensure that all exhausters are licensed and emptying at designated points is enforced.
- Put in place surveillance teams to monitor the operations of the vendors and report on their operations
- Enhance maintenance of sewer systems to guard against cross-contamination with the water supply
- Carry out community outreach and public awareness activities to educate consumers on the need to hygienically handle water purchased from vendors and water service providers is to avoid contamination.
You are required to confirm compliance to the above requirements and submit a report to WASREB within two weeks.
Please give this exercise your personal attention.
Eng. Robert Gakubia
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER